Tuesday, November 23, 2010

the starting pieces: a suit


Here is my starting point for my collection: a 2 piece skirt suit in 2 fabrics. The herringbone will be the body, and the corduroy will be the shawl collar, back tab, and covered buttons on the jacket... maybe even the pockets. On the skirt it'll be the waistband.

SWAP pieces all have to have something new to them... I have never covered buttons or done much in the way of jacket construction, so that's a start. I've also had very poor luck with both hand-picked and invisible zippers, which will be a new thing in the skirt. I'm still trying to decide how and if I'll line these... I'm leaning in the direction of yes for both pieces, because I'm terrible about wearing slips and I want for these pieces to be around and in my wardrobe for a while.

The muslin will tell me a lot about the skirt... and I think I am going to forego doing a muslin of the jacket. I will tissue-fit the pattern for sure though, because I want half-sleeves, and not three quarters, and I have very mixed feelings about the curve in the back. I think I'm having enough fun without it... or I'll have more fun putting in contrast pleats... I'm definately going to play with it. And you'll know things as soon as I do. I am going to go ahead and post this because I want to know what y'all think!

Today I'm thankful for solidarity. I just knocked out a whole paper in WAY less time than I thought it would take because I sat down with 2 of the girls in that class and went for it. It was SO great to have it off the slate. I'm pretty jazzed to be finishing up my last make-up paper, and cleaning house before class because W will be in tonight and Mom will be in tomorrow, and I'll see everyone on Mom's side tomorrow and Thursday AND Friday! It's going to be AWESOME because I am realizing more and more how much I miss them all when we're not together.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?
I love hearing from y'all...