Wednesday, November 17, 2010

rules

A La Stitcher's Guild:

Option #2:
2 dresses -single pieces consisting of top and bottom that can be worn alone.
My 2 Dresses: McCall 5801- the border print dress I never finished
a good date night dress- most likely chocolate brown knit
6 tops - t-shirts, shirts, blouses, or camisoles
My 6 tops: Simplicity 2593
Burda Style Pintuck Top in white, pictured
a blue linen shell, pictured
a grey top(maybe)
a russet top pictured
a red top
a purple top
2 bottoms - jeans, pants, shorts, skirts or kilts.
My 2 bottoms: a pencil skirt, maybe McCall 5817. I'm doing a wearable muslin so we'll see.
A good swingy skirt- probably half a circle- in a blue with a hem treatment I want to try.
1 your choice (not an accesory)
A jacket- Simplicity 2728 with cuffed half-sleeves and a shawl collar- the pockets are fun, but I'm not sure.

3 garments may be purchased or previously sewn.
1 may be knitted or crocheted.

Now here's your twist:

"Every garment should be made with a technique or feature that you haven't tried, or haven't mastered. My personal Waterloo is zippers -hate 'em, because I have to take them out and redo them at least once, every time. And there are several things I've sampled, but have never used on a garment -slotted seams, for one.

That doesn't mean every garment should have a zipper, if that's what you have trouble with. But at least one should. And if you never mastered buttonholes, at least one garment should have one. If you've never made a flat-felled seam, now's the time."

The twists will be hard, but not intolerable. What's going to be the toughest is making it blend and work as a collection- these are pieces that I'll be interested to see how they work together, but that I I'm excited to expand my horizons, and to try some new things and to really perfect others. I learned a lot in college but didn't master much, so this is an exciting thing to do.

Today I'm thankful for mentors. I have been blessed to have really amazing people in all areas of my life who have planted seeds and encouraged me to grow- and it's been SO good to have them. And taking them for granted as I have at times is almost sinful- especially since I've turned out okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?
I love hearing from y'all...