Tuesday, November 17, 2009

To SWAP or not to SWAP?

I am really torn. The format is SUPER attractive this year... I could see myself wearing a grouping like this, and it would fill out the wardrobe of a Seminarian nicely...

From SG's page on SWAP 2010:

This year, to accomodate the many different clothing needs of our members, we have three SWAP formats to choose from. Certainly you may make more than one if you have time, but if you do each finished SWAP must fit one of the three formats.

Option #1:
6 tops - t-shirts, shirts, blouses, or camisoles
4 bottoms - jeans, pants, shorts, skirts or kilts.
1 your choice (not an accesory)

Option #2:
2 dresses -single pieces consisting of top and bottom that can be worn alone.
6 tops - t-shirts, shirts, blouses, or camisoles
2 bottoms - jeans, pants, shorts, skirts or kilts.
1 your choice (not an accesory)

Option #3:
5 dresses -single pieces consisting of top and bottom that can be worn alone.
4 tops - t-shirts, shirts, blouses, or camisoles
1 bottom - jeans, pants, shorts, skirt or kilt.
1 your choice (not an accesory)

2 garments may be purchased or previously sewn.
1 may be knitted or crocheted.
1 will be a matched print or stripe.
1 will feature embroidery, beads or sashiko
1 will have buttons as the star feature OR use unusual or alternative closure(s).
-----------------------
This year's emphasis is going to be on making a wardrobe that fits your needs, and showcasing your sewing and embellishing skills.

Sewing will begin December 26th, and all garments must be finished by April 30th, 2010. Because this is a shorter time frame, pattern fitting and cutting may be done whenever you're ready.

I really like option 2, and I think I could do it. Especially since 2 items can be pre-existing, and it contains dresses. I am not penalized for not finishing, and I will be sewing for my Senior Seminar in costume design... these little challenges of embellishment and matching could be practice for real things in Senior Sem! The six tops could be difficult, but at the same time, they could be my 2 pre-existing items, AND a chance for me to get over whatever "thing" I have about making tops. I have some coordinating things I bought and never even touched for SWAP and Istanbul, and need more things I make on my body... I just don't know if this is the way to do it.

I'd love some input.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?
I love hearing from y'all...