Monday, April 18, 2011

The best baby gift



Although I'm at the age when everyone seems to be getting married, not yet babies, there are still family and friends who are a little older and are having children. I can think of 3 since January and 2 due this month without trying hard, and of at least 1 more before the end of summer, and that's without trying hard.
That's a lot of baby showers, y'all.
My mom passed down a great tradition though, and it's to take flannel, make a square from a 1-1/4 yard cut, and turn the edges under with mitered corners for an oversized swaddling blanket. The few extra inches have proven useful for making these multi-purpose, and the flannel is great year-round. I have a stack that has been augmented by season-change sales at Hancock, which means less expensive than normal, and about 20 minutes each will turn these into useful gifts- How cool is that?
And here are 2 finished blankets that I want to embroider with monograms before sending on to their new homes... with an extra or two included, perhaps. Somehow it just means more because I cam make these with my own two hands... and I really like the feeling of using a skill I have been fortunate enough to acquire to share. This is just too good to keep to myself, so I'm blessed to share the love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do YOU think?
I love hearing from y'all...